Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Lots to catch up on.

First, I went to visit my dad this weekend for Father's Day and was surprised and dismayed to see how unhappy many of my siblings are in their marriages. My dad on thw other hand is quite happy - I don't know how he does it. He and my mom got along so well and if she hadn't died, I'm sure they'd still be together. My dad and my stepmom have been together for over ten years now, and although they've had some rough times, too, they seemed genuinely happy with each other and their lives. He just finished an addition on their house, which looks amazing. They have a 2-bedroom ranch house on which he built a huge living room, foyer and a porch. It's mostly finished now with only exception being the flooring. For the party on Sunday, Dad laid out a carpet remnant and moved his furniture into the new room. Once he has the cash he will be putting down hardwood floors. I can't tell you how peaceful his house is. With the windows open, a constant breeze came through, keeping the whole house cool in 90-degree weather. He put in skylights to make the rooms brighter. The lawn is immaculately kept and my stepmother has a garden full of huge flowers. My dad lives in the country, where there is little traffic and few neighbors. About the only noise we heard was the sound of the raceway from the distant fairgrounds. It's no wonder he's happy with such tranquil surroundings. I can't imagine a better place for him to live.

My brother Bob seems to be recovering well. He just had his first anniversary - 1 year without alcohol. He's been making art again, through his wielding, and made a fountain for my stepmom. If I can find some copper bowls, he'll make one for me, too. It was good to see him, especially looking so happy and healthy. I guess not everyone is unhappy, maybe it just seems like it because I have been, too. Also, it was just a weird weekend in general. All sorts of small, petty annoyances happened. We went to a local food festival that just seems to be floundering. Last year it seemed like they had 4 or 5 food vendors, but only 3 this year and a very poor turnout. People were rude. My sisters were squabbling, sort of. I lost an earring from the set my sister Diane had just given to me that morning for my birthday. We went to see my other sister's band play that night, but it was in a bad bar and the band was so drunk that they could hardly keep time. Through it all my dad smiled and chuckled, too good-natured to let anything keep us down for too long.

Meanwhile, work has been better. I feel like I am getting my ass in gear and since our student worker is only here 3 days a week, I have a little more to do on the days she's not here. That's a good thing. I like to be busy. I am promising myself that I will start school in the second summer session. I'm also working on a redesign of onw of my web sites, too. Speaking of web sites, I'm thinking about making one for my dad's contracting business. He won't use a computer, so I'm not sure it would be the most useful of sites.

Tonight I have to go to dinner with my boyfriend and his bosses. Even though I've done this before, it still makes me nervous. I hate getting dressed up, for one thing and for another I'm never sure what to say. Last night I dreamt that we forgot about the dinner and had only 10 minutes to pick up the drycleaning, get dressed and get to the restaurant. I hate dreams like that, because I wake up panic-stricken. I'm sure it will be just fine, that I am worrying over nothing, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment