Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2001

I've spent most of the morning reading the most insulting garbage ever.

I was doing a search and happened upon a posting board full of biting, mean replies: insults to a poster's religion, education, intelligence. People filled with hostility towards other beliefs, misinformation about history, culture. I just felt sick, and yet I couldn't stop reading, I had to see where all of these diatribes were going.

It isn't surprising that they went nowhere. No issues were solved, people's feelings were wounded and one by one either from exhaustion or frustration they dropped out of the "discussion."

I have to admire someone who has such extreme beliefs to the point of knowing that they are always right. That kind of tenacity is daunting. I have no idea of what is true and what is not. I try to see both sides of a matter, but usually end up being more confused than before.

It's not that I can't make up my mind or form my own opinion. I just can't say that either side is truly RIGHT and that bothers me, especially when it is so simple and obvious to some people. Am I missing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment