Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

The Pleasure of Being Robbed...

...is my first film viewing of the festival and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The film has an indie aesthetic, filmed on the cheap with minimal editing. The main character is a young, scruffy woman who with absolute fearlessness steals from nearly everyone she meets. Yes, she is poor, but she doesn't seem at all interested in the money or possessions. She examine the contents of purses, bags, even cars, with intense curiosity, then abandons them when the novelty or usefulness wears off. Rather than present a narrative, we watch the girl watch and pry into the belongings of others without any real consequence. Even being arrested only seems to slow her down, not stop her. The film feels very raw; without a story (in the mainstream sense, a least) the scenes feel random and I felt both curious about where the film was going and a sense of alarm at her brazen thefts. Although it was very funny and sweetly quirky in spots, I'm not sure how I feel about this film. It meandered a little too much for my taste, but it definitely kept me interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment