Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Happiness is a warm computer...

The Satellite of Love (my Toshiba Satellite laptop) got a well-deserved overhaul last night. I archived big files, got rid of bloated programs (good bye Nero and BitDefender!), defragmented the hard drive, and ran CCleaner to get rid of unnecessary files and fix any registry problems. It's so nice to have a clean computer again, but the bloat was only part of the problem. My real problem is RAM. I have only 1 gig, but I'll have to upgrade to 2 soon. Of course, maybe if I wasn't running resource hogs like Photoshop that would help.

Now that my computer is clean, of course I added a bunch of new programs. I downloaded Avast (because I'm too nervous to go without) and CDBurnerXP (a free and much, much lighter DVD burning software) to replace the horror that is Nero. I had to install a torrent client in order to download the new Nine Inch Nails album (more on that later) and I finally got around to installing that free version of Bryce (3D modeling software). That last one is the least necessary and may be uninstalled depending on how much I like it.

The Satellite will be 3 years old in June and I'm hoping to squeeze a few more years out of the old boy yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment