Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2001

Got the unemployment benefits straightened out today, so there's a load off my back. I went to Starbuck's and drank an icy Americano and read. It was unexpectedly pleasant.

The heat outside is like a blast furnace. This feels quite a bit like Arizona, even if it is considerably more humid here. I was surprised that I wasn't sweating more. The sun is very bright, as if it is closer to the ground than normal, and the sky is a deep blue. The weather report predicts thunderstorms, but it doesn't seem likely right now. If they happen, it won't be for hours and probably won't cool off much. It's predicted to be as hot tomorrow.

The dog is dozing in front of the air conditioner; he is uncomfortable, yet he doesn't drink much water, which concerns me. I can't force him to drink, but I can give him ice cubes, which he loves. He looks so funny when he chews them.

I was thinking about the planets today in regards to astrology and magic. It's funny that the classical planets (Sol, Luna, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) and incorporated into most magical systems, yet the outer planets (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) are conveniently ignored. They don't fit into the neat model of color, number, tarot and astrological correspondances, which if you really think about it is horseshit. I mean, there isn't anything special about the inner planets except that they were known to ancients and most can be observed with the naked eye. The fact that they didn't know about the other three doesn't mean that they didn't exist, and if the inner planets affect our lives then the outer ones probably do, too. I've been researching and brainstorming about how they fit into the Grand Cosmic Scheme, but I have yet to find any answers. I can't believe that I am the only person to think about this, so I'm perplexed by the lack of information.

I think the Air and Water Show is this weekend. Andy and I are seeing The Blue Man Group on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment