Pages

Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Why Studio 60 disappoints the hell out of me

Fantastic pilot opening aside, I'm not liking this show much.

Mostly, I'm annoyed with the religion angle. First, I don't think the character of Harriet Hayes is, as the wiki entry states, an "effortlessly sexy", "multi-talented" performer. In fact, I find her intensely unlikeable and not because she is a Christian character. I just think her performance is forced and it is not entirely the actress' fault. She mentions Jesus, her religion and being Christian pretty much every scene she is in. We are constantly hit over the head with this storyline and not even real-life Christians talk about God, Jesus and their religion this much. This character is more than her religion, right? Then show us that - if she is "effortlessly sexy," show us how and it has to be more than just seeing her pretty face. Show us how talented she is and for Jesus's sake, let her be funny!

Also, the dialog that seemed so snappy on The West Wing just seems very out of place here. When, in the second episode, Harriet says to Jeanie "I wish I had your body" and Jeanie replies "I wish I had your talent," I threw up a little. This isn't how people talk. Well, maybe in Hollywood.

No, not even in Hollywood.

While we're at it, can we talk about how unfunny this show is? I get that it is a drama, but it is a drama about a comedy show. And it has funny actors on it! Show us how they write (and really write, not the after scenes where all of the hard work is already done). Show us the actors bombing or doing really well.

Show us the show, dammit!

1 comment:

  1. Defense of Studio Sunset Strip
    Sorry to be bringing a late comment to this old message. Studio 60 was one of the few things I anticipated during the September premiers and it did not disappoint me. I'm very disappointed that Studion 60 and Veronica Mars will not be back on the air in September 2007.
    I guess I like this show more than most have. I've found it witty, adult and DEAD ON ACCURATE regarding the U.S.'s social situation. It's been accused of liberal smugness, well I'm a bit tired of liberal apologetics (e.g., Law and Order, or CSI (on occasion)). Let me use the title of a book by James Carville to accurately convey my sentiment, "We're right, You're wrong".
    Regarding Harriet, well they're, IME, Christians who do go on about beeing Christian, etc. Consider this maybe it's a California thing.
    Regarding the dialogue, please remember this is dialogue to service a narrative and it is NOT naturalistic conversations, because naturalistic conversation would be very, very BORING and would not serve the narrative.
    Allan Rosewarne - http://tv.groups. yahoo.com/buffy_fans_chicago

    ReplyDelete