Pages

Thursday, October 5, 2006

Lost: Season Three, Episode One

First, great opening, although I suspected from the beginning that we were looking at the Others' camp. I liked how normal it all looked, especially with the bungalows, the middle-class-nice furniture and book club.

This episode is also a bit scary for me, because they are essentially torturing/brainwashing Jack, Kate and Sawyer. There's a neatness to how they tailor their methods to the person. Jack is held in solitude and darkness and being perhaps the most stubborn and rebellious of the three, he has to be broken in a bunch of little ways (like making him put his back to the wall when they bring food in). For Kate, it's a kind of humilation - she's strong and capable and something of a tomboy, so making her wear a dress is a painful reminder that they can make her feel vulnerable. And putting Sawyer in an animal cage is a pretty strong statement, even if he doesn't get that yet. I also think it's very telling that they put Kate in the cage outside of Sawyer's; they realized immediately she is closer to him than Jack and I think they're going to exploit that to its fullest.

Some other tantalizing details: I think there is a power struggle between Ben and the blonde woman (did we ever get her name? - EDIT: Yes, Juliet!). I think the woman is the leader or has assumed leadership, especially since last season the others deferred to a mysterious "she." I'm also not sure how much her heart is into the operation: there's something about her interactions with Ben that makes me think she doesn't approve of him.

But having said that, I really hope the story picks up. Intriguing as this episode was, the few little clues and answers we got just weren't enough. We need to see what's going on with the other castaways and what happened to Locke, Eko and Desmond, and I hope they don't drag out the resolution of that storyline too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment