Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2002

This morning, while walking the dog, I caught a blur of white out of the corner of my eye. It was a jogger in a pale gray sweatsuit with the hood pulled up over his head. He was running nearly silently, his motion almost floating like a ghost.

Before Surly woke me, I was dreaming about being at a resort. I don't remember the details of it, except that my entire gaming group (we play D&D, a role-playing game) was there. I got the impression that we were playing Rob's game.

There were other people at the resort, but I have only impressions of them: some wealthy, some fashionable, some older. An older woman, who reminded me of the actress Vanessa Redgrave, was appalled by my clothes (as were the other guests, actually). I suddenly realized I was wearing a hideous outfit: a bright blue pajama top and a pair of bright yellow boxer shorts with some kind of print on them. I think it was either palm trees or sailboats. Being too large and baggy, neither article actually fit me properly. I was a bit embarrassed, but I refused to change my clothing, because I felt that would somehow "break character" for me in the game.

Since I refused to change, the lady offered her help with the outfit. There was something very motherly about the way she tried to tuck in the shirt or belt the boxers. She knew there was nothing she could do with these clothes to make them better for me, but she fussed with them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment